I have just transferred to the University of Cambridge after completing the first year of my PhD at the University of Birmingham. I am working under the supervision of Jamie Vicary.
|alex.rice at cl.cam.ac.uk|
|Office Address||Office FS35
The Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge
William Gates Building
My main interests at the moment are category theory, especially higher category theory, and Homotopy Type Theory. I am currently looking at various definitions of globular higher categories and am thinking about semi-strictness problems and types of composition.
Before starting my PhD I completed a 4-year integrated masters program in Mathematics and Computer Science at the University of Oxford. During this time I took courses including Category Theory (including theory of monoidal categories), Algebraic Topology, Homological Algebra, Logic, ZFC Set Theory, and Representation Theory.
I also enjoy playing with functional programming languages such as Haskell or Agda and am a user of Emacs and the Nixos Linux distribution.
- Teaching assistant for “Advanced Functional Programming” (Autumn 2019)
- Teaching assistant for “Logic and Computation” (Spring 2019)
- Supervisor for “Semantics of Programming Languages” (Autumn 2020)
- Supervisor for “Prolog” (Spring 2021 and Spring 2022)
- Supervisor for “Introduction to Probability” (Summer 2021)
- Supervisor for “Object Oriented Programming” (Autumn 2021)
I have attended the following events:
- Midlands graduate school (MGS) 2022
- Logic and Higher Structures
- FSCD 2021
- ACT 2021, which I helped organise.
- Categories and Companions Symposium 2021
- SYCO 6
- SYCO 3
- SYCO 2
- MGS Christmas lectures in Sheffield 2019
- A Type Theory for Strictly Associative Infinity Categories (pdf, arxiv)
- New minimal linear inferences in Boolean logic independent of switch and medial, FSCD 2021 (pdf, link)
- Coinductive Invertibility in Higher Categories (pdf,formalisation,github,arxiv)
- July 2021: New minimal linear inferences in Boolean logic independent of switch and medial, FSCD 2021 (Recording, Slides)
- June 2021: Categories and Companions Symposium - Biased composition in infinity categories (Recording, Slides)
- 25th September 2020: Birmingham theory group lab lunch - Biased composition in infinity categories
- 19th March 2020: Birmingham theory group lab lunch - Coinductive Invertibility in Higher Categories (slides)
- Linear inferences of size 7 - 09/10/2020
- Strictly Associative Group Theory using Univalence - 29/05/2020
- Strictly Associative Group Theory - 26/03/2020